Saturday, October 23, 2010

Best French Toast

Like nutmeg creme brule stuffed in
crispy toast with syrup (my recipe). 
(Holy crap, it's GOOD!)

  • Fresh hoagie rolls (got mine from the local grocery store--whole wheat, even!), sliced thick (1"+)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C cream (the heavy-whipping kind)
  • 2 T brown sugar (or slightly warmed honey would work instead)
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
Wisk everything together but the bread.
Soak bread slices in the custard, and soak it until thoroughly soaked. 
Set them out on a plate and LET SIT a couple minutes to make sure there are no dry spots. 
Fry over medium heat in butter (butter, people; butter--lots of BUTTER) until brown and plenty crispy around the edges.
Drizzle with syrup and love every bite.

Check out those crispy edges!

P.S. -- So, I never planned to do recipes on this thing, but this deserves to be published, and where else should I do it.  Maybe I'll do more recipes.  Like Sunday.  I'm making my scalloped potatoes, which are pretty freaking awesome.  Stay tuned.

***

1 comment: